Xan Directive

I am the entertainer. And I know just where I stand, another serenader, and another long-haired band. Today I am your champion, I may have won your hearts. But I know the game, you'll forget my name. And I won't be here in another year, if I don't stay on the charts.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Lego is my puppy and she always shall be

Tonight my family made one of the hardest decisions of our lives, to put our dog Lego down. She was born on Saint Patricks day in 1993 along with her 13 brothers and sisters. My Grandma's dog, Java had just had her first litter of puppies, 14 in all, (and one died directly after birth). Lego always stood out in the group. She was always the first one to the food dish and the last one to leave. I will never forget the smell of the puppy pen, with the barkdust in the garage, and the 14 little puppies just running all around you and jumping on you. Lego was different however, she was then called "Grey Baby" because she was one of two in the entire litter that had a grey patch on her stomach. We could Always identify her, not only because of the grey, but also because she would always be sleeping, she always loved to sleep. We have pictures of my sister and I holding a sleeping puppy in our arms, It is Lego. We brought her home from my grandmas house in the little VW bug, in a little towel that belonged to our grandma. We brought her home and she was a great little puppy, always hungry and always sleepy. She was so good with us when we were kids, never one bark or one yip. She loved to play tug-of-war with me and I would growl right back at her. One day she got into the basement and found the box of stuffed animals that my sister and I had decieded on giving to St. Vincents. She went through the whole box and found a big-bird stuffed animal (that had a voice box). She didn't rip it up or anything, instead she just carried it around, and packed it for months. Everyone made fun of her because her entire breding family were all hunting dogs, and so this was her way of saying that she was a "Bird Dog." She took it into the little plastic swiming pool that we had bought for her and it got soaked and disgusting, but she still would take it everywhere. I don't remeber what happened to it, I guess it finnally just fell apart.
She always loved going down to the Beach. She loved jumping in the waves and just being in the water, One time she went so far out to find the stick my dad had thrown that my mom started to cry, because she thought that Lego couldn't get back. She loved going swiming. We were on the Willamette once with my cousins from Alaska and were swiming off of a park, we took Lego and she got so worried about my sister and I. She would see us in the water and swim until she got us, which was quite far because we had lifejackets on. She would keep swiming with us until we grabed ahold of her collar and then she would drag us to shore, litterally. She did this the whole afternoon. When we moved two years ago, we knew it was going to be rough for not only us but for her. At our old house we lived on a corner, and she would always go down and sleep on the corner. We lived on Lincoln which is the main pedestrian road in SE portland, we easily had three joggers run by in just a few minutes. At first they didn't know what to do, I mean there is a dog laying in the sun in the middle of the sidewalk, and she's not moving. Some just went around her, others once they got to know her just steped over her. Everyone learned her name and she became the mascot of the neighborhood. She was friends with everydog in range and she loved every person that walked by. When we moved she lost all that, although she had a bigger yard to play in, she wasn't as young as she used to be and she spent more time sleeping in the back then out in the yard. A few months ago we noticed that her eyes were starting to get white and blurry, and then she would occasionally would have accedents in the house, something she had never done, even when she was a puppy. In the past week her situation has become worse, and now she can barely stand to go outside and go to the bathroom. I have never lived without having a dog, even before Lego we had Centari and Sebaka. To try to describe my sadness would not even begin to say what I am feeling. I have known Lego longer then anyone else besideds my family. She is leaving a huge blank spot in the middle of our family now, and we will miss her so much. Tonight is her last night. Goodnight Lego, We love you.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger magda. said…

    Aww...

    Hey, I know how hard losing a pet can be. Losing, but literally, as my beagle Sammy got lost/ran away when staying at our farm in Hillsboro (She loved the farm). She was still just a puppy when she ran away, and I miss her, especially the way she'd crawl under my covers and sleep on my feet (like my own personal hot-water bottle that never needed refilling). And the way she'd bark on command (she was brilliant, she really was). And the way she'd jump on me when I came home and lick me all over. And even the way she'd chew up my shoes and my pens and my notebooks and my pillows, (and everything else, for that matter), and then I'd find all my personal belongings strewn out all over the backyard.

    I like to think she just wandered off too far and found another family with lots of land to run on and small children to play with, and that she's still alive and well and happy. It would be much harder if I knew that she was really gone.

    But yeah, I miss her. And I bet she and Lego could have been good friends.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home