Xan Directive

I am the entertainer. And I know just where I stand, another serenader, and another long-haired band. Today I am your champion, I may have won your hearts. But I know the game, you'll forget my name. And I won't be here in another year, if I don't stay on the charts.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The House of Bernarda Alba (a review)

Well I went to see our play called "The House of Bernarda Alba" tonight and to be completly honest I was disappointed. First of all let me be positive, the show had tremendous potential, and some of the characters were really really good actresses and portrayed their parts perfectly. The tech aspects were very well coordinated and the set was simple yet it was gave the illusion of a large house (which was the point).
However overall, the play could have been so much better. Firstly I did not agree with all of the casting choices, some of the daughters did not seem convincing for the characters and feeling they were trying to express. Althought they were on the right track they had not yet reached the point where they could convince the audience that they were those characters. Also there were times when the actressess just beceame completely out of character, like they would be in character for a full paragraph, then be out of it for just one sentence. Having not read the script myself I will admit that I do not know how much of what i saw was written in. The most distracting and strange parts were between scenes where there would normally be a blackout and a progression of time, instead the main characters did strange interpretive danceing to show the progression of time, which although was creative and perhaps entertaining it did not fit the story that they were trying to convey and at times it destroyed all the momentum and climax that the dialog was building to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home